Individual Prayer Guide for the Community
|Below are some suggested prayers to pray individually, each day of the week over your community for several weeks or months. After a period, God will give you ways to tailor these prayers to your specific circumstances. Be sure to listen and keep a journal as God reveals ways for you to take action, and then share them with your pastor(s), prayer leaders and small groups. God may very well be saying the same thing to them.
Sunday: Your Church
- Your Pastor(s) – Pray that he/she spends time with God daily, reading His Word, seeking His face and worshiping Him to renew his/her mind with the mind of Christ (Romans 12:2).
- Church Leaders – Pray that they seek and cooperate with God's plan for the congregation and outreach to the community (Jeremiah 9:23-24).
- Your Congregation – Pray that each person will acknowledge, receive and use God-given gifts, abilities and talents for the glory of God (I Corinthians 12:4-6).
- Church Neighborhood – Pray that your church neighbors and community will be drawn by your winsome ways to the truth of the Gospel and into a relationship with God through Jesus (I Peter 3:15).
- Families – Pray for God-centered relationships among family members (Genesis 28:14). Parents – Pray that they will boldly instruct their children in biblical values and pray together; that the hearts of the parents will turn to their children (Ephesians 6:4).
- Children – Pray that they will learn obedience to parents so they will in turn obey God, their heavenly parent; that the hearts of the children will turn to their parents (Mark 10:14: Psalm 144:12).
- Single parents – Pray for an extra measure of God's grace and protection for those who are raising children alone; that all of their financial needs will be met (Psalm 5:11).
- Single adults who live alone – Pray that they would realize that God is their constant companion, even in lonely times (Psalm 71:3).
Wednesday: Leaders with civil authority
- Administrators – Pray that they exercise authority with fairness and justice (Proverbs 2:6).
- Teachers – Pray that they will demonstrate love to students, even in difficult situations (I Corinthians 13:4).
- Support Staff – Whether a school psychologist or custodian, Pray that their highest interest is the well-being of the children (Proverbs 16:3).
- Students – Pray that they will learn at their potential and gain wisdom as well as knowledge (Proverbs 4:7).
- Christians in the schools – Pray that they will demonstrate Christlikeness (James 1:22-25).
Thursday: Economic life of your community
- Mayor/city administration – Pray that they will do what is right and honorable for the city or town (Matthew 5:14).
- Courts – Pray that judges, lawyers and juries will reflect God's justice and that honesty prevails in all court decisions (Micah 6:8).
- City or County Council Members – Pray that they will seek God's counsel before passing ordinances that affect the citizens they represent (Proverbs 3:5-6).
- Police Officers – Pray they will be protected from evil intent and enforce the law with integrity (Proverbs 10:9).
- Firefighters – Pray that they will have supernatural protection from fire and that they have success in rescuing people from all forms of danger (Daniel 3:27b).
Friday: Outcasts and Needy
- Businesses – Pray that owners will prosper and use their businesses as a way to spread the Gospel and that managers and employees will honor God in their work ethic (Colossians 3:17).
- Industry – Pray for godly creativity to be unleashed in the workplace as more efficient and effective methods for production are employed (Exodus 35:30-33).
- Agriculture – Pray for all people connected with farming to exercise safety practices that will keep them from harm and for God's blessings to rest on their livestock, land and crops (Deuteronomy 16:15 and Psalm 144:13).
- Non-profit Organizations – Pray that they will have the resources to meet people's needs (Proverbs 11:25).
Saturday: Spiritually Lost
- Poor – Pray for God to establish the poor so that their spiritual and physical needs are met with dignity and stability (Psalm 140:12).
- Widows and orphans – Pray for every need of their bodies, minds and spirits to be met (Jeremiah 49:11).
- Prisoners – Pray for jail ministries to reach them with genuine conversion experiences and disciple them with love (Psalm 69:32-33)
- Mentally ill – Pray for the restoration of their minds for God's intended purposes (Isaiah 14:3).
- Physically ill – Pray that God will use any and all means to bring healing for the sick (Jeremiah 17:14).
- Disabled – Pray that they will be filled with hope from God even when discouraged (Isaiah 40:31).
- Family Members – Pray for those whom you love and care deeply for to turn to God for Salvation; name a family member who needs a personal relationship with Jesus (Acts 2:38-39).
- Neighbors – Pray for those with whom you have regular contact to seek and find God; lift up a person by name (Acts 8:26-39).
- Unsaved of the community – Pray for the churches of your community to be filled with people hungry for the power of Jesus living in them and for the churches to disciple them with open arms and for your church to go to the people who have needs and meet them where they are (Acts 17:16-34).